Foolproof Infection Prevention for better Hand Hygiene Compliance
Hand hygiene is one of the most important steps we can take to protect ourselves and others from infection. Proper hand hygiene can help to reduce the spread of germs and prevent the transmission of diseases. However, despite its importance, hand hygiene compliance rates are often low in public spaces, and many people are unaware of the correct techniques for hand washing. Whether you’re looking to improve your own hand hygiene practices or seeking to promote better hygiene standards in your workplace or even in public spaces, this article will provide you with relevant information to help you understand and address the concerns about the spread of infections.
1. According to the World Health Organization (WHO), hand hygiene is the single most effective way to prevent the spread of infections. It can reduce the risk of respiratory infections by 16-21%, diarrheal diseases by up to 47%, and healthcare-associated infections by 30-50%.
2. Despite its importance, hand hygiene compliance rates in public spaces are often low. A study conducted in the United States found that only 31% of men and 65% of women washed their hands after using public restrooms.
3. Lack of access to handwashing facilities is a major concern. According to UNICEF, one in four healthcare facilities worldwide lacks basic water services, and one in five has no sanitation services.
4. Inadequate hand hygiene in public spaces can lead to outbreaks of diseases. For instance, in 2019, a Hepatitis A outbreak occurred in San Diego, California, which was linked to poor sanitation and hand hygiene practices in homeless encampments.
5. The economic cost of inadequate hand hygiene can be significant. According to a study conducted by the Global Hygiene Council, the annual cost of healthcare-associated infections in the United States alone is estimated to be between $96 billion and $147 billion.
These statistics and data points highlight the importance of hand hygiene in public spaces and the need for action to address the problem. In public spaces, inadequate hand hygiene can have serious consequences. The rapid spread of infections and diseases can lead to outbreaks and epidemics, resulting in significant social and economic costs such as increased healthcare expenses and reduced productivity.
Fortunately, steps can be taken to address this problem. One solution is the use of Axiene Hygienic Handles, which provide an easy way to ensure hand hygiene compliance. These handles are designed to be reduce the risk of infection spread by continually treating the touch-surface whilst also providing some additional protection on the user’s hands. Axiene offers a simpler and more hygienic option for users and in multi-occupancy facilities. As awareness of the importance of hand hygiene continues to grow, Axiene Hygienic Handles are likely to become more widely adopted as a key tool in the fight against infection spread, improving safety in public spaces.